(Test to evaluate your bones for weakening of the bones and check for osteoporosis)
A central bone density study is a low-radiation, scan of the lower spine, femur or wrist to examine the amount of matter per cubic centimeter of bones. This test will indicate whether a patient has osteoporosis.
A bone density study may be ordered for a patient with the following risk factors:
- Women - 65 years or older
- Postmenopausal women
- Postmenopausal women with fractures
- Individuals receiving/received long term glucocorticoid therapy
- Individuals with hyperparathyroidism
- Individuals being monitored on osteoporosis therapy
This test is performed by our staff and read by our physicians.